About Kath Macaulay
Kath Macaulay is a nationally-known artist based in Tucson, Arizona. She is the inventor of Pocket Sketching®, a quick-draw technique that allows anyone to “journal” wherever they are in the world using only a 4″ x 6″ art pad, a pen, a small paint set, a brush and a film canister of water — all neatly stashed in a portable kit, pocket or purse.
"I believe that every sketch and painting is personal. Each of my students captures not only what they think they saw but, more importantly, what they felt. The connections made with students eliminate their fear and encourage their creativity while promoting fun throughout the process."
Fastest Brush in the West
"In the time it takes other plein air artists to set up their easel and lay out their paints, Kath Macaulay will have two scenes drying in her ‘journal.’ Using only the basic art supplies she can fit into a compact fanny pack, Macaulay will crank out one stunning watercolor after another — none taking more than 25 minutes." — Matt Baldwin, Whitefish Pilot Newspaper
- Full time painting and teaching Pocket Sketching® workshops.
- Canyon Ranch, Tucson, AZ,
- Chautauqua Institutes in Chautauqua, NY
- International Institute of Watercolor, Buffalo, NY
- Many U.S. and Canadian art organizations
- Produced three 1-1/2-hour DVDs covering three-day basic workshop and now added a speed stick of the same information.
- Competed successfully in national shows with several Best in Show awards, plus noted one-person shows including an international show at the Chamizal, El Paso, Texas, sponsored by Mexico and the United States, featuring 56 paintings done by Kath from the Western United States National Parks.
- Showed in Mexico via the U.S. State Department.
- Filmed three 13-episode shows at WGVU for PBS
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY
- Four years marketing aimed at marketing art
- UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
- Scientific illustration (while teaching watercolor and drawing)
- OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
- B.S. Biology
- PRIVATE INSTRUCTION MASTER ARTISTS:
- Nicolas Brigante, Los Angeles
- Robert Carl Cogar, Las Cruces, NM
- Bong Wai Chen, Portland, OR
- Robert Noel Blair, Buffalo, NY
My favorite evaluation so far came from a woman at Canyon Ranch in Tucson after an hour and a half overview of my workshop. She had previously registered in six 5-day watercolor workshops nationally, flying to each with hotel reservations, only to stay a few days in each and leave in total frustration: “You just changed my life! I can do this!!!!!”
From students and former students I receive letters, notes, and emails exclaiming their delight. “My sketches bring back more memories than my photographs.”
“My friend had the sketch enlarged and taped above her head in hospice to remember 'your friends will always love you.'"